Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Dump Cake

Okay folks, last week was a little crazy.  I was in my friend Amanda's wedding in Crofton, NE Friday through Sunday and the week was crazy getting ready for the weekend.  So sorry for the fact that there weren't any blogs last week!  I did think of several ideas for my next few blogs - so be prepared!

Every year for my birthday, my mom would make my FAVORITE cake - dump cake!!  It doesn't sound appetizing, but let me tell you - it's absolutely delish!  So when it was my turn to bring treats for my coworkers birthday and since she LOVES chocolate as much as I do, I figured it was the perfect opportunity to make dump cake.

Here's how to make my best ever birthday cake. :)


First, bake two 8" or 9" chocolate cakes.  Cut each cake in half so that you have 4 layers of cake.

Next, put one layer on a plate and put a layer of cherry pie filling (I use light) on the first layer of cake.  Now, I usually use an entire can of pie filling for each cherry layer, but you can use less - Mom usually uses 1/2 a can for each layer.  If you're going to use an entire can for each layer, try to get as little juice as possible - otherwise it will just ooze out and mix with frosting.

Here's my picture of my cake at this point...



Now place another layer of cake on the cherry filling...



Now comes the first layer of frosting!  I use cream cheese frosting because it's my favorite.  If you're good at frosting you can probably get by with one can of frosting.  I haven't frosted a cake for quite a while, so it took me about 1 1/2 cans of frosting.  I also find that it's easier to frost the sides at this point instead of waiting until the end too.

Another layer of cake goes down next...


Another layer of cherries...



Place the final layer of cake on top and frost the whole shebang one last time!  Here's what you end up with.


Even though mine didn't turn out the looking the best I promise it tastes AMAZING!!  Just put sprinkles on it and enjoy! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment