Friday, August 26, 2011

Reality Check

Wednesday night I went to a funeral home to offer my condolences to a coworker who lost her son.  This has left me a little somber and saddened.  I had never met the young man, but had heard a lot about him from his mother.  He was 28 years old.  2 years older than me.  I guess it hit me how, when we're my age, we think we are invincible.  Guess what - we're not.

I think my own mortality isn't even the thing that scared me the most.  Everyone was feeling sorry for my coworker and her husband, and don't get me wrong - I felt terrible for them.  But who I felt the worst for, was his brother.  This family so closely mimicked my own.  There were the just two kids.  And if I remember right, they were two years apart in age.  That's the same as Monte and me.  I can tell you that when there's only two of you - you're constantly together.  As I watched the video of this young man's life - there was picture after picture of when they were kids - two little boys together.  I think of my photo album and in it lies picture after picture of Monte and I growing up.  I had my mom send me a few for your viewing pleasure - I think we were keepers. :)





Anyways, I realized how seldom I actually take the time to tell my brother how much I love him and how much I look up to him - even more than I think he knows.  So Monte - this post is for you!  I hope I never find out what it's like to to be a solo child.

No comments:

Post a Comment