Thursday, January 5, 2012

My Best Friend

I read a blog called Branny Boils Over regularly and when her Souper Bowl post came up, I knew what my next blog post would be about!  My favorite animal of all time - Neko.


I adopted Neko Easter weekend of 2009 right after I moved into my house.  The house was just so empty and I knew that a dog would be the perfect addition - especially since I had a huge backyard that one could run around in.


I was volunteering at the humane society at the time, and was waiting for the right dog to come through.  I thought I was looking for a puppy that would grow up to be a smaller sized dog - perhaps a Maltese or Yorkie Terrier.  Instead I ended up with a black lab that has grown up to be a 70 lb. pooch.


I love the fact that I have a walking partner who makes me stay active.  I love that I have a welcome committee as soon as I walk through the door whether I was gone 5 seconds or 5 hours.  I love that Neko makes sounds like Chewbacca off Star Wars when she greets new people or gets excited about something else.


So, as requested by the Souper Bowl blog post, I dedicate one of my favorite soups, White Bean & Turkey Chili to my baby, Neko.


Here's the recipe:


White Bean & Turkey Chili

1 Tbsp. canola oil
2 medium diced yellow onions
1 1/2 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp minced garlic
1 1/2 Tbsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
3 (15.8 oz) cans Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
4 cups chicken broth
3 cups chopped cooked turkey (can also use chicken)
1/2 cup diced seeded tomatoes
1/3 cup chopped cilantro (optional)
2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground pepper

Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat.  Add onion; saute 10 minutes or until tender and golden.  Add chili powder, garlic, and cumin; saute for 2 minutes.  Add oregano and beans; cook for 30 seconds.  Add broth, bring to a simmer.  Cook 20 minutes.  Place 2 cups bean mixture in a blender and process until smooth.  Return puree mixture to pot.  Add turkey, and cook 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated.  Remove from heat.  Add diced tomato, chopped cilantro, lime juice, salt and pepper; stirring well.

Nutritional info per 1 cup:
Calories: 286, Fat: 6 g, Protein: 32.4 g, Carb: 24.3 g, Fiber: 5.5 g, Chol: 85 mg, Sodium: 435 mg

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment